Sunday 24 July 2016

Sun24Jul16: Warsaw - Radom, Poland (118.9km, 1,856.1km YTD)

Stranger and stranger.  Last night Roommate comes back from the 10km Warsaw Uprising Commemorative run and brings me a Polish Underground armband - I thank him profusely, because I thought they were only for the runners;  an hour later he drags his mattress & bedding off the boxspring and sleeps on the floor under the window.
Up at 6am, packed slowly because Gergo doesn't want our bags downstairs in the lobby before 6:45am, rider's meeting indicates we will have an 11km convoy out of town and then head south to Radom.  Counting Saturday's 'rogue breakfast event', this is my third buffet breakfast at the Hotel Ibis for a two day room registration, and the food variety nearly matches the Tallink Hotel in Tallin, Estonia.

Convoy departs about 8:15am into nearly departed streets on a warm, calm, Sunday morning.







A sign connecting the food chain "Mcdonalds" with a "McFit" fitness/wellness club is a real hoot:  maybe one day Mcdonalds will actually start running their own fitness centres.









private game park, 70km
Gergo wishes us well at the 11km mark and I realise that I've forgotten to turn on my Garmin - better late than never, but that screws up all the kilometrage marks on the itinerary.  I find myself riding with Peter McCartney, who has programmed in his own route on his Garmin and asks whether I'm with him or with the marking tape - easy decision. Peter will always pick the most direct route, so today we miss out on the standard dirt and cobblestone route that Gergo favours, and make a bee-line for the lunch truck at 65km, arriving about 10 minutes ahead of Chris.


streamside frolics, 90km
The three of us team up in the afternoon, but once again the pace comes close to burning me out.  Temperature started out at 20C and is now nearly 30C, and several local people have the right idea of cooling down and enjoying a swim, sunbath, and frolic in the stream on a Sunday afternoon.






Highway around Radom is old and in poor condition, but we reach the "Hotel Lesny Dwor", a very nice highway hotel, new, classy but basic, Gergo must have been able to negotiate a good price for our little group.
Tonight's room assignment has me with Peter McCartney.  Time for a shower, laundry, and then some photo/blog time in the hotel courtyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment